Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1¼ cups almond milk
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cup pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free, dairy free baking flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea or Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover the bottom of a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Cut a strip to fit around the sides; place the strip inside the pan, holding it in place with a clip or clothespin if necessary. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine almond milk, applesauce, dates, espresso powder and vanilla. Blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. In a bowl, whisk together the baking mix, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour in date mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in chocolate. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan (remove clip). Bake in the middle of the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it, about 30 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto a platter. Remove the paper. Enjoy!