Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini (can also use summer squash or a combination) cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ½ tsp. course sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. oregano (can add or substitute parsley)
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 6-8 mozzarella slices
- ½ cup parmesan (optional)
- Note: eliminate cheese for dairy free version
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil 9 or 10 inch glass or ceramic pie dish.
- Arrange zucchini slices in several layers in the prepared dish. In a medium bowl, toss diced tomato with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Spoon tomato mixture on top of zucchini. Bake 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. You can also prepare in tin foil and grill.
- Remove from oven or grill, let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on parmesan. Layer mozzarella and basil leaves. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Enjoy!