Apple Cinnamon Breakfast
This morning I got up and thought - I probably don't need to eat for at least two days after all the food I had yesterday ... But I was hungry. So I stood in front of the fridge for what seemed like forever and stared at the contents hoping something would jump out at me. Nothing. I closed the doors because I could hear my mom in my head saying "you're letting all the cold air out!" She's a smart woman <3 Then I thought about what I really wanted. Something warm. And healthy. Mostly to rebalance the chips and dip I ate at my neighbor's house last night after 8PM. Oops! Oatmeal? Nope. Not in the mood for that, but I liked the idea that it's warm. So I made my version of grain free oatmeal. It's everything I put in oatmeal when I'm making it only without the oats! Enjoy!
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 green apples, cored and chopped
- ⅛ cup water
- cinnamon to taste
- ½ cup pecans (can substitute walnuts, almonds or your favorite)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Place apples in small saucepan.
- Add water to cover the bottom to keep the ingredients from sticking.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon (I like a lot so I add a generous sprinkle!).
- Add nuts and cranberries.
- Heat on medium until water starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- If you like the apples firm, don't cook as long.