Sunflower Seed Roll Ups
This tasty appetizer is packed full of protein and immune boosting properties. Enjoy!
Recipe type: Appetizer or Snack
- ⅔ cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 8 hours
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large collard leaf to use as a wrap
- Prepare the sunflower seed pate. Drain the sunflower seeds of excess water. Add the sunflower seeds, celery, garlic, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice with the zest, and extra virgin olive oil to your blender or food processor. Blend until well incorporated. The pate should be smooth but still have some texture to it.
- Assemble the wrap. Wash your collard leaf and pat dry with a clean paper towel. Lay the leaf flat on a cutting board. Take a small knife and remove the thick rib of the stem so that it lies flat. Place ¼ cup of the pate on your collard leaf. Add any of the suggested toppings. Roll the collard leaf like a burrito.
- Variation: add 1 teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the pate for a touch of Indian flavor.
- Suggested pate toppers: shredded carrot, sliced avocado, sliced red pepper, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, sprouts.